Monday, June 6, 2011

Cravings, Aversions, and food- oh my!

I've found the last few weeks especially that I have really needed lots of fluids to keep from being nauseous and also stay dehydrated. However, one problem that I've had is that I can't drink much water before getting nauseous or at least an upset stomach. WEIRD! I used to drink so much water everyday that it's hard for me to resist it and always try to find something else. Especially when you add to that fact that I now cannot drink MILK! I love milk, but during pregnancy I become somewhat lactose intolerant- meaning not drinking milk (it can be in things), eating ice cream, large amounts of cheese (like a grilled cheese sandwich is too much), or anything else with tons of dairy. It makes me sad since we eat So much dairy at our house- my husband is a MAJOR fan of it! I feel like I take in SO much sugar just through my drinks, does anyone have any better suggestions to keep myself hydrated (especially if I've been vomiting)?? I have been drinking these liquids lately:

100% juice, mainly orange juice sounds good
kool-aid
powerade or gatorade
quality ginger-ale
and occasionally lemonade
I'm going to try buying lemons and just drinking lemon water because I really like that usually, it adds flavor so maybe the water won't make me sick, and no sugar! Did I also mention that citrus scents on my hands is one of my FAVORITES? And my outlet air fresheners right now are lemon- I think I'm officially on a kick.


Next, I just want to remember all the wierdness this pregnancy has brought in the way of food, so for my sake I'm documenting all major cravings and aversions.

AVERSIONS
*chicken-everything about it
*dairy- makes me sick but sometimes I still want a glass of milk I have to avoid
*anything too saucy
*cold cut sandwiches
*pizza- it tastes good, but makes we weary cause I've thrown it up half the time I've had it
*any room that is stuffy or too hot

CRAVINGS
*breakfast foods made of bread (pancakes, french toast, biscuits, toast, bagels, crepes, waffles etc.)
*DOUGHNUTS! This is so weird cause I can totally usually avoid them, I'd much rather have a brownie or cookies or something else! I might eat them twice a year if they're given to us or something, but I've gone to a local doughnut shop twice in the last two weeks and bought WAY too much! haha

*salad or cut veggies with dip- I have to be careful with this one though, cause too many raw veggies hurt my tummy
*pickles-yes, giant kosher dills - we've already gone through a gallon jar, and my mom bought two more!
*fruit, mainly citrus including oranges, lemons, and limes, but I've branched out to berries too now and will eat most fruit.
*fried green tomatoes- YUMMY!
Mexican food- ALL OF IT, even chimichangas at 10 am!!!


I never really had cravings with Caleb, just foods I asked for cause I knew I could keep them down! In fact, I couldn't handle citrus at ALL so this pregnancy has been MUCH different!

3 comments:

  1. pickles doesn't surprise me.. you've always been crazy for pickles.. i hope your not paring them with mustard like in 7th grade, cuz that's just gross! you could try drinking vitamin water.. i LOVE that stuff. especially dragonfruit! it's super good and not overly sugary, idk if there even is much sugar in it, but there is vitamins which is a def. plus! or sobe life water. i usually can't stand plain boring water, so i go for the flavored, and i like lemon AND lime in my water, it's kind of like sprite w/o all the carbination and soda stuff. try watermelon.. it's fruit and to me, watermelon is very hydrating, more like a drink than food to me! hope you get feeling better and are able to slip into a routine that works daily!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun to hear your cravings, brought back memories of my own. Watermelon and G2 were the only things that helped me not throw up. I also couldn't stand milk when I was pregnant and I love the stuff. Hope it settles down and you can put on some weight and not hurt your back/tailbone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. since i didn't really eat during my pregnancy and never had a craving I did drink TONS OF PROPEL WATER. Not sure if you're a fan of it. but it kept me hydrated but had a little flavor. throwing up orange juice was...painful which you probably already know. i hope you find some more yummies. I wish you the best!

    ReplyDelete